Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Esoteric Teachings

The esoteric teachings, by their nature, are rarely written about publicly. They are always handed down orally, from one to the next. The reasons for this a so numerable that if I listed them all I would bore you. But this secretiveness has always seemed counter productive to me; since we can't truly 'finish' until everyone is finished, how can everyone 'finish' if we only 'stamp' one at a time. We need to broadcast the teaching to everyone, right? So that's what I'm trying to do, even though it can't be done.

Of course The Teaching was being passed down well before the written word, so face to face was the way it had to be done; and if that's the teaching, then the teaching should continue like that, shouldn't it?

This Teaching can only be passed by an adept who has been recognized within the adept's lineage. An adept is the only one who has the 'whole' picture on what The Teaching is, and how to pass it down.

That's the problem with the adepts that are not recognized by a previous adept, it's not that you can't understand The Truth without a teacher, it's that we can fool ourselves into thinking the picture is complete with a small leap in understanding well before we actually embody The Truth; this mis-understanding has us teaching incorrectly or at least incompletely. Of course this can happen within a lineage too, where adepts have been stamped prematurely. But our odds are better that a recognized person of a recognized lineage has the whole thing.

Also a realization of The Truth is wonderful for the individual, but it does not come with a tradition for transmission to complete the process from one adept to the next. It is this last piece that makes me say 'The Teaching' has been passed, not just The Truth.

The esoteric teachings are never to be written down, let alone broadcast like this. But most of us write down what we are taught in our personal journals. Even these journals are to be kept private; we're not even supposed to share them amongst the other 'disciples'. This is because esoteric teachings are individualized; what one person needs to hear, my be the opposite of what another needs to hear.

For this reason I never used to share my journals. But the face to face process is so slow... maybe I'm not patient enough? But once I understood I wanted to share; once I was recognized, I felt the need to share. But I'm walking on ground that is rarely tread. It has been done, but the track record of success is not good.

In the teaching passed to me, there are both exoteric and esoteric teachings; the two together create The Teaching. The exoteric are those that we can see and talk about. The esoteric are those we don't see and only try to talk about.

Esoteric teachings don't fit in words; it's one of the reasons they are esoteric. Some of the teachings are powerful and can be abused or misused by the untrained. People often think they know before they know and things get twisted, turned, and bent.

We can't talk about The Teaching, because the esoteric portion once put into words no longer really makes sense, it begins to go in circles trying to include everything; everything includes even opposites, so it makes no logical sense to call two opposites true; but in terms of The Teaching, everything must be included; the most important part of 'everything' may even be 'nothing.'

Only the exoteric portion is taught, the esoteric is 'stolen' from an adept by being in their presence. Being in an adept's presence, simply, one day we understand and this understanding is recognized. The exoteric teaching says this takes 20 years, the esoteric teaching says it takes one heartbeat, both are true.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, but Vince and I were talking about a similar topic recently. Our style of Iai has so many techniques and they change quite often, so we really want to put together a wiki (a la wikipedia) where we can keep an open encyclopedia of the techniques, the poems associated with them, notes on interpretation, videos that show changes over time, and so on. A collaborative place to dump and share what we think we know.

    Really, at heart, we're both information technology people - Vince and I want to use the power of open communication and technology to improve everyone's training and understanding.

    But at the same time, I know that people would read it and see a comment like "the gaze should be here", "the tenouchi should be such and such" or "cut in this way", and go wrong because the words (or even video) are such a poor representation of the truth. Even if they don't misinterpret the words, there's always the chance that they take a specific comment to one person as a general comment, or take a comment meant to apply in a specific way at a specific point and generalize it or take it too far.

    And that's just technique. If we were to venture into truly esoteric areas, it would be disastrous.

    The part of me that loves knowledge and wants it spread as far as I can really wants to be let loose. I want to post ideas, write wiki pages, and dump every bit of what I think is right out there for people to chew on. But the other part of me says, "Well, what do I really know," and "how can I possibly transmit these ideas clearly and not have people become confused or misapply them?"

    It's very frustrating, so I appreciate your sincerity and boldness in posting what you do. Whenever you say something that seems like a reasonable consequence or follow on to the pretty primitive understanding I have, it gives me some idea that I'm on the right track. It also takes the edge off of wanting to write things myself knowing people far more competent (e.g. you) are doing it already, so I can just point people at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment above was posted by my friend David. I had to move it when a hacker sent in a hidden link to the other post. I had to delete that whole post and re-post everything. Sorry,

    ReplyDelete