Sunday, October 14, 2018

Kishu Chikurin Japanese Archery



Kishu-Chikurin is the School of kyudo (Japanese Archery) that my Sensei grew up with. Though as he grew up, he decided he prefered a more ceremonial approach. So he went searching and found another school of kyudo. It is this school of kyudo along with the teachings of Koen Mishima Sensei that they first introduced to the Los Angeles Kyudo Kai when I first came to their dojo.

We had yet one more school of kyudo in the dojo too. Kiomaru Mishima (the younger brother of Koen Mishima) practiced Muyoshingetsu school of  kyudo.

In 1996, when a few of us in America were forming the American Kyudo Renmei under the auspices of the ANKF in Japan, my Sensei was asked by the Mishima brothers to practice Muyoshingetsu-ryu at the dojo. So as he did that, we also formed the Nanka Kyudo Kai for me and others to do kyudo with the AKR/ANKF.

Many years later The Southern California Renmei was formed to take over the relationship in the area with the AKR/ANKF. So i decided to revert back to the original school my Sensei had taught me. I wanted to keep the principles of that school alive, since i was one of the few still practicing it; even my Sensei was doing Muyoshingetsu-ryu instead.

The Kishu-Chikurin too, that he had shared with me, has very few practitioners left... even in Japan. So with the opening of our new dojo, i decided to keep that alive as well. Here is a sample of our Kishu-Chikurin practice at our Budo Dojo.


No comments:

Post a Comment